Institute building, Plattenstrasse, Zürich
Old Meets New
The house was erected in 1876 as a multi-family dwelling with a ground-floor shop. In 1974 it was converted for use by an institute of the University of Zürich. This historically significant building has been referred to as a protected monument since 1973.
The present refurbishment work covered the entire exterior and interior of the building, while largely retaining the original structure. New kitchenettes and sanitary cells both provide a greater degree of comfort and add a colourful accent as recognisably modern insertions. The installation of a lift makes the building accessible for wheelchair users.
Elements that contribute to the atmosphere of the building have been carefully restored with the aim of recapturing and preserving its original charm e.g. the parquet flooring and the stucco of the ceilings.
The building services were replaced completely and augmented with the equipment necessary for university use. The lighting concept, with lights mounted on ceilings and walls, as well as standard lamps, allows the characteristics of each room to be taken into consideration while providing well lit, attractive work spaces.
Institute building, Plattenstrasse, University of Zürich 2005-09
Study commission in a selection process, 1st prize, 2001
Costs: CHF 6 mn
Client: Zürich Cantonal Building Authority
Architect and project coordinator: Bob Gysin Partner BGP Architekten ETH SIA BSA
Building services engineer: 3-Plan Haustechnik AG, Winterthur
Electrical engineer: Büchler + Partner AG, Zürich
Structural engineer: Walt + Galmarini AG, Zürich
Building physics: Zehnder Kälin AG, Winterthur
Photos: Ruedi Walti, Basel